Friday 21 September 2018

Mata Hinglaj Bhawani



September has been a hectic month for me both professionally as well as personally. I had a busy professional travel calendar during the first half of the month followed by a couple of off days to attend younger cousin brother’s wedding. Time passes rather quickly – I distinctly remember us growing up as cousins, he used to stay on the second floor whilst we were (and continue to stay) on the ground floor and the many enjoyable birthdays that we have celebrated together. Even though our meetings are now rather infrequent; however I do fondly remember the time spent together. 

All the ceremonies were carried out as per traditional Sindhi rituals. The Panchayat Brahmin (Maharaj/Priest) diligently carried out all the rituals alternating between speaking Sindhi and Hindi so that the younger generation could understand the significance of various rituals being conducted. I have grown up seeing Maharaj as the Panchayat Brahmin; he is usually present at all official panchayat ceremonies as well as is often called upon to conduct wedding as funeral services at the request of fellow members. My family has known Maharaj for the last many decades (as have a number of other families in the neighbourhood ), him and my father were classmates at Sindhi School in New Rajinder Nagar and my uncle vividly remembers how Maharaj’s father, who was also a practicing Priest, was called upon to conduct the rituals at the death of my great grandfather (“Kaka”) in late 60’s.  

Among the various rituals conducted, the one that I found quite informative was the “Janeu” (Sacred Thread) ceremony which was conducted a day before the actual wedding. During the various mantras that Maharaj Ji chanted, there was one which made reference to “Jhulelal Sai” as being our “Kuldevta” (Clan God) and “Hinglaj (Bhawani) Mata” as our (Sindhis) “Kuldevi”. Maharaj Ji then told us about Hinglaj Mata temple in Hinglaj, a town on the Makran coast in the Lasbela district of Balochistan, Pakistan. The temple is a Shakti Peeth i.e. a significant shrine.  The shrine is revered by both Hindu and Muslims with Muslims referring to it as “Nani Mandir” (Maternal Grandmother Temple).

Whilst I had heard about “Hinglaj Mata” earlier during one of the you-tube videos of Swami Bhagat Prakash of “Satnaam Sakhi” sect which has a substantive following in the Sindhi community; however I was not aware about her being our “Kuldevi”. I am told (not sure though) that it is one of the few sects wherein the Sect leader is always a Sindhi. My maternal family has followed the sect for the last many decades

Maharaj Ji patiently explained that originally our Kuldevta and Devi have been Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Hinglaj Mata is a form of Goddess Durga/Godess Parvati. Post the ceremony, Maharaj Ji and I discussed how Jhulelal Sai had become a unifying force for the Hindu Sindhi community in India post partition thanks to the likes of (Late) Dada Ram Panjwani, (Late) Smt. Bhagwant Nawani  and others who have played a key role in spreading his reach to the common household. It was wonderful to interact with Maharaj Ji and to know a little more about the community. I pray to almighty for his long life.

I end with this wonderful video of Saeen Saif Samejo and Bhagat Bhooro Lal singing “Daastan-e-Moomal Rano) on Coke Studio Pakistan. Moomal/Rano is a legendary Sindhi folk story similar to Heer/Ranjha (Punjabi Folklore). Saeen Saif has done a wonderful job in bringing together an extremely talented group of musicians to create an impressive music score which is further enhanced by his melodious singing. Bhagat Bhooro Lal’s rustic voice further adds to the overall feel of the song. Don’t forget to click on Subtitle icon in the lower end of the frame for English translation of the lines. I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I did
 
https://youtu.be/Ou7qlUM6cb8



Jiye Sindhiyat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID Musings

After having successfully evaded COVID  for the last two years, the virus eventually got the better of me and I contracted COVID earlier thi...