Thursday 22 February 2018

Radio Sindhi

Ever since I was first came to know about Radio Sindhi, I have been a regular listener. Radio Sindhi is a web based Sindhi radio channel run by a Mumbai based company. Originally it had four web stations which have now expanded to seven. In fact, the first time that I heard the radio, I found it so interesting that i downloaded their app from the google play store and listen to it every now and then. Whenever i travel (which is quite frequent these days) , i do switch it on the first thing in the morning. I find traveling alone quite lonely at times as being an early riser , i do not really have much to do in the mornings and Radio Sindhi is a worthy companion at that time of the day. I find listening to people speaking in Sindhi very comforting and joyful. Every time, I hear Dada Gope Chander and his daughter, Smt. Aarti singing the famous " Damadam Mast Kalander" on Radio Sindhi, my happiness knows no bounds. 

I believe that Radio Sindhi is an excellent medium to connect our displaced Sindhi diaspora. I am happy to see it growing over the past few years due to the relentless efforts of the channel owner as well as a number of large hearted sindhis who have made financial contribution to the channel. It is important that such initiatives are appreciated by the community so that they can continue to grow in the years to come. 

Another one of my favorite songs is " Ho Jamalo" especially Abida jee's rendition that i hear quite often on Youtube. As I understand, this song was popularised in 1950's/60s by Abida jee and other singers in Pakistan. This song celebrates the courage of Jamalo Khoso Baloch .Wikipedia States:- (edited)

Jamalo Khoso Baloch was sentenced to execution by hanging, by British East India Company officer John Jacob  in Sukkur, probably in 1856. Jamalo (as he is conventionally called) was held in jail near the Sukkur Bridge, which had recently been built for trains by the English, but was untested. The government of Sindh announced that whoever test-drove a train across the bridge would be given a prize. Jamalo sent a letter to Jacob, offering to perform the train crossing, on the condition that he be released from jail and his sentence if he crossed safely. He did cross safely, was freed, and was given a prize by the East India Company's governor of Sindh. His wife composed the "Ho Jamalo" song about his exploit, and it has since become famous in the region.

I hope that initiatives like Radio Sindhi  will continue in the future as well.

Jiye Sindhiyat!

PS : For the interested, Radio Sindhi website is : www.radiosindhi.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID Musings

After having successfully evaded COVID  for the last two years, the virus eventually got the better of me and I contracted COVID earlier thi...