Tuesday 10 July 2018

KOKI

Its 6 o clock in the evening here and I am writing this post in a jovial mood ; elated by the weather outside as it has just begun to rain . In the midst of hot and humid Delhi summers, rain showers are a welcome respite. Adding to the joy is my mother's standard evening query - Maani mein chaa khayinda (What will you have for Dinner?)? How can it be anything else but Koki in this weather.

If there is one food item that binds almost all Sindhis (like a glue!), it is the community's shared love for Koki and Saibhaaji. Personally, I am a little biased towards Koki! Who cannot like this thick bread made out of wheat flour kneaded with clarified butter (Desi Ghee). There are a number of variants of Koki as some also add chopped onions ("basar") but I like the one without them and with  jeera (Black cumin) and kaali mirch (Pepper) . Koki with salted butter and a cup of hot tea is a meal in itself!. 

A few years ago, I was traveling to Mumbai for work on an IndiGo flight.Normally I have my breakfast before I leave for the airport, but on that day, as it was an early departure, I requested my mother to pack my breakfast, which was my favorite Koki. During the in-flight snack service, upon being asked by the air-hostess about if I would like to buy anything, I politely refused and opened my tiffin box. Little did i realise that the air-hostess was a Sindhi as well, who looking at the tiffin box smiled and said - Another Koki lover!. It proved to be a great conversation starter. Such is our love for Koki!

On another note, I attended the bi-monthly concert organised by Sindhi Academy, Delhi last week. This time one of the singers was young Vineet Satpal, a fellow sindhi trained at the academy who was performing on such a platform for the first time.It is heartening to see young talent being promoted by the academy. The other singer was Saeen Dushyant Ahuja - a master at Sindhi ghazal singing. He sang marvelously.

 I end with the below link of a fast paced musical number that Vineet sang and enthralled the audience. As always, video credits go to Saeen Anil Makhijani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAF9ZKEdlk

Jai Jhulelal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID Musings

After having successfully evaded COVID  for the last two years, the virus eventually got the better of me and I contracted COVID earlier thi...