Tuesday 9 April 2019

Cheti Chand Celebrations,2019



Cheti Chand (Sindhi New Year) was celebrated with great fervor on Saturday, 6th April, 2019. I eagerly look forward to the festival every year as it is one of the few occasions when the entire community gets together. No doubt, Jhulelal Sain has emerged as the unifying force in post partition India for Hindu Sindhi Community. This time, I have tried to capture the festive spirit via photographs which I hope you find to be of interest. Special thanks to my sister, Tina, for assiting me in clicking these photographs. 

I am reminded of the following lines which capture the essence of God's greatness:-


"Sahib tuhinji sahibi, ajab dithhi suu
Pann boray pataal mein, pathar taari tu
Jay Raazi Thii Too-n
Te Meri-aaye  Maan Laha.... Allah O Miya 


(O Master as I gaze upon Thy Creation... I am awestruck by its Beauty ; You can bury a leaf in the underworld, and make a stone to float ; If Thou Would be Merciful Unto Me ; Then Please make my Acceptable in Thy Sight, O My Merciful Lord)

 ( English Translation Source: Kalam Kiyan Rijhayan  by Ms. Renu Gidoomal) 

Ayo Lal Sabhi Chaho Jhulelal!



Beginning of Celebrations : Lal Sain / Guru Granth Sahib in "Gurmandir"

" Daya Kar Dayalu " : Lal Sain/ Jhulelal Idol in "Sindhu Samaj"


Pujya " Behraana Sahib". Behraana is a traditional Sindhi way of praying to the diety. 






"Shobha Yatra " (Procession) being taken out. 


Behraana Sahib being taken to a Devotees' Home

 "Tippno"/ SIndhi Calender for Year 2019-20. This is a permanent feature in our home on the kitchen wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID Musings

After having successfully evaded COVID  for the last two years, the virus eventually got the better of me and I contracted COVID earlier thi...