Friday 19 January 2018

Knowing Dada Balwant (Bill) Bhaneja

It all started an year ago. It was one of those weeks in office wherein there wasn't much workload ; so I decided to read something. After about 10 mins of thinking, zeroed in on reading something related to my being a Sindhi. As usual, searched google - Some 100 odd Sindhi recipe cookbooks later, came across a book called "Troubled Pilgrimage : Passage to Pakistan" - a travel memoir written by Balwant Bhaneja. Bought an e-version on kindle and believe me the next 2 days were eternal bliss.

This blog is not a book review but in a nutshell for me it has been an extraordinary read as (unfortunately) this book (i fear) is the closest I (and most of us)  will ever get to experiencing Sindh and Sindhiyat. Having grown in a Sindhi family /Sindhi neighbourhood and living some 100 metres away from Sindhu Samaj/Gurmandir, I consider myself to be a privileged one as far as "Being Sindhi" is concerned. (given how scattered we are!). The book reminded me of my interactions with my mother about how my Nana (Maternal Grandfather) longed to go back to his hometown (Kandiaro in Distt. Nawabshah) one day.

Post reading the book and given that how much I enjoyed reading it, I decided to write to Dada Bhaneja. As is usual with writing emails to authors, wasn't very sure if I will ever get a response (was hoping for one but not expecting it!). To my surprise, not only did I get a response from Dada Bhaneja but it marked the start of an (email) conversation which continues till date - a conversation that has both very insightful and enriching. If it was not him, I would have never come to know about the great musical duo of  (Late)"Motihar" brothers, Sindhi Kala Sangam, about how his late father was instrumental in the display of first Sindhi Tableau at Republic Day parade and so much more.... I hope that our association continues for long and one day perhaps I get to meet him too :) 
 
The more I learn about "our" Sindhi roots, the more i dread about how much close we are to loosing the "little" that we have!. Attend a Sindhi concert and you will know what I am talking about - scant audience, mostly elderly with little youngster participation. Most of "us" no longer take interest in learning Sindhi .Perhaps it isn't "cool" to be a Sindhi anymore for a lot of us.

I end with the below line from one of (Late) Dada Dewan Motihar's rendition which is more relevant today that ever before

"Allah hiye na the jo kitaaban mein padhje t hui sindh aen sindhwarane ji boli.......... "








No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID Musings

After having successfully evaded COVID  for the last two years, the virus eventually got the better of me and I contracted COVID earlier thi...